Thursday, August 30, 2012

What do you fear? Part 1

Original artwork by Leonard Wilson, Jr.

"Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." - M. Williamson

In Chapter 4 of My Flexibility Manifesto: Following Your Passion 2 Success, I discuss fear. In my research, I discovered that most people fear failure.  Digging deeper, I realized that the fear of failure only touches the surface of the problem.  By stating "I fear failure, an individual is confessing the fear of something bigger.  More than likely, fearing failure is a coverup for fearing the possibility of disappointing someone.  

That someone could be yourself, your parents, your friends, your family, your peers, your sorority sisters, etc.  The definition of failure is socially constructed; society created it.  Thus, society through media and interpersonal connections inevitably built pressure on you to achieve certain goals.

It isn't unreasonable to consider that a majority of our goals are socially constructed.  Through our interactions with information and people, each individual is expected to be something (of importance and significance).  No one wants to be a "loser" in the eyes of our social circle and family.  Furthermore, it does not matter if that something that people expect from us is positive or negative.  Unfortunately, some people are expected to fail.  It is dependent on the individual (you) to meet those expectations or reject them altogether.  

Part 2 will discuss how to overcome your fear of failure.  

If you have not had the chance to read my recently published book, I am giving the PDF version via email for FREE.  Simply email me at Leonard.Wilson.Jr@gmail.com, with the subject "eBook reviewer."  I only ask for an honest review in return that you would write on Amazon.  If you are interested in the Kindle or paperback version, those are available on Createspace and Amazon.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment