What is holistic success and happiness?
Happiness can be defined as success in four areas of life.
- Material abundance
- Love and relationships
- Health and well being
- Spirituality (intuition, creativity, connection to a higher power)
Holistic success is important because it improves your:
- physical health (immunity towards diseases)
- better relationships (family, friends)
- self confidence
You can not define your success by income. If you sacrifice holistic success in those four areas, you may make a lot of money but you will be extremely vulnerable to hypertension, stress, feeling miserable, addictive behaviors, etc. Being successful does not mean you are happy. A Harvard study shows that success does not lead to happiness but vice-versa. Happiness leads to success.
So how do I reach happiness and holistic success?
- Pay people attention. Show them your affection. Try to find a way to add to someone's life today. That could be a friend, a family member, a potential customer, etc. Christian pastor Joel Osteen encourages Christians to treat people with honor regardless of how he or she may be treating you. As a child of God, we are held to higher standards in how we think and behave.
- Define daily worthy goals and achieve them. It takes small steps to reach ambitious milestones.
- Exercise, meditate, pray, relax, take a walk, get physically active.
Happiness= set point in the brain (determined in the first four years of your life that determines your emotional intelligence) + conditions of living (if you are extremely poor you are unhappy or if you are extremely rich people obsessed with money you are unhappy) + voluntary choices or actions daily (doing things for pleasure like going to the movies, sex, shopping, expressing creativity, are you doing meaningful work, are you making someone else happy) thus S + C + V = H
- your emotional intelligence can be improved through therapy, cognitive analysis or meditation
These ideas are credited to Deepak Chopra, a physician and writer.