Monday, July 30, 2012

What to do when a company does not want you



In my May article "The Creative Job Search Does Work," I confidently boasted that the creative job search works.  And, I still encourage job-seekers to use it, because it does indeed get your foot in the door.  However, that particular company that I interviewed with has yet to call me back.  And this is after a phone interview, a 90-minute face-to-face interview, and appropriate follow-up including a handwritten thank-you card.  The only thing I have failed to do is to pick up a phone and call them.  But I figure, after sending you a thank-you card and a continued-interest letter in which I specifically state "please let me know either way," that those managers are purposely not contacting me.  Additionally, I was informed I would be contacted within a week and a half after the interview.  That time has surpassed.


So what do you do when you know you did everything right but the company is sitting on its hands until it finds the perfect candidate?  Here a few things I have considered doing:

  • Drive to their location and demand a meeting.
  • Send an additional letter with an emphasis on "please let me know either way."
  • Finally pick up the phone and hope to speak to someone.
  • Move on.
My advice, if you find yourself in this predicament, is to move on.  If you have done everything the company asked for, performed an excellent interview, and followed up appropriately with a letter or card, it is on the company to return the courtesy and professionalism.  The fact that this company did not contact me back after two methods of contact informs me that this is not a company I would work for on a long-term basis.  

Remember, the interviewing process is a two-way process.  It is true that you have to appeal to the company as an applicant.  However, the company has to appeal to you as well.  Early on, this company seemed unique, different, and a good fit.  After not returning contact to simply let me know that the position has already been filled or that the company is looking at other applicants, this company revealed to me that they ignore people and cannot maintain relationships.  

Remember I initially contacted this company for a sales position.  They came to me, based on my resume, with a management position opportunity.  If they were no longer interested, just say so.  That's what exceptional companies do.  As an exceptional professional and human being, I will not work for a company like that.

Thankful for the experience, I am honing my interview techniques to obtain a dream job and to share my expertise with you, my audience.  Remember, your resume, elevator speech, cover letter, online presence, and interview should all tell the same story.  That is the key to finding work you love.  However, if you cannot find it, create it.


Subscribe to my blog via e-mail above or follow me on Twitter.  Thank you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment